How to Make Italian Meatballs
- Mix the bread and onion in a large bowl so the onion juice is soaked by the bread.
- Add ground beef, ground pork, egg, parsley, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Mix them properly.
- Roll the mixture to form solid balls.
- Medium heat olive oil in a large fry pan. Add the meatballs. Let them cook until brown for 5 minutes.
- When the meatballs are brown and slightly uncooked transfer them onto a plate.
- Now heat some more olive oil into the pan. Add the onions and garlic. Cook them for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add tomato puree, water, red pepper flakes, dried Italian herb mix, salt and black pepper in the fry pan. Bring to simmer. Then turn down the heat to medium low.
- Carefully transfer the meatballs into the sauce.
- Now cook the meatballs for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper according to taste.
- While the meatballs are cooking, cook pasta of your choice.
- Place the meatballs on top of the pasta. Garnish it with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Serve hot immediately and enjoy!
- The meatballs are not just an Italian food. Many other cultures have laid claim on the meatballs.
- No one knows where the meatballs originated from. However, its recipes exist from the time of the Roman Empire.
- It seems to exist since 25 A.D as a Romanian – Marcus Gavius Apicus wrote a recipe book (Cuisine in Ten Books) during that time and talked about the mixtures of meat and other ingredients.
The meatballs are also found in the Asian countries by the name “Kofta”.