How to Make Hot Cross Buns
- Add warm water, butter, skimmed milk instant powder, egg, egg white, white sugar, flour and active yeast to the bread maker and hit the dough program settings.
- Add the cinnamon and currants when there are just 5 minutes of kneading the bread left Let the dough sit in the machine till it doubles in volume.
- Move the dough to a floured surface, punch it down and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough smoothly into 12 balls and transfer them to greased 9” x 12” pan.
- Cover the balls with a thin wet cloth or a cling filmand set aside for 40 minutes or until they expand.
- Glace the dough balls with egg yolk mixed with 2 tablespoons of water using a brush.
- Preheat the oven at 375°F and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the buns from the pan and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Mix icing sugar, vanilla and milk until it thickens to a glaze consistency and transfer it to a piping bag.Pipe little cross shapes on the buns and serve them warm.
- Toddlers and kids in nursery love the hot cross bun rhymes.
- Eating hot cross buns is a tradition on Good Friday in countries such as South Africa, United Kingdom, Canada and even India.It’s traditionally eaten hot or toasted in the week of Good Friday.