Beefy Lentil Vegetable Soup
cups dry lentils — rinsed
lb lean ground beef
cup carrot — chopped
cup celery- chopped
cup onion chopped
cups of water
cubes of beef bouillon cube
oz canned mushrooms-drained
cups of tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
a dash of Worcestershire sauce
How to Make Beefy Lentil Vegetable Soup
- Brown the beef and cut it into small pieces while you cook and drain.
- Add the meat into a pot and cover it. Add vegetables, water, lentils, salt, bouillon, pepper, vegetable juice, Worcestershire sauce, and mushrooms.
- Cook on high flame and bring to a boil.
- Simmer and continue to cook while covered.
- Cook on low flame for approximately 2 hours until the lentils are tender. Stir frequently.
- Lentils are often considered to be poor man’s meat.
- The word ‘lens’ is derived from the Latin name of lentils, lens culinaris. This is because the double convex lens appears like lentils.