How to Make Homemade Pesto
- Crush raw pine nuts with a pestle to a coarse powder. Set aside.
- Add garlic cloves and couture salt into the mortar and blend coarse. Add some basil leaves and the crushed pine nuts into the mortar. Crush to rough paste. As soon as you are done add more basil leaves and crush them as well. Continue until you have exhausted all the basil leaves.
- Add parmesan cheese to the basil-garlic paste and blend until you get a fine paste.
- Gradually stir in olive oil into the paste.
- Enjoy your favorite bread, pizza, or pasta with some fresh, old-school, homemade pesto sauce!
- Traditionally, pesto is made with basil that grows in Genoa. That was where it started first.
Pesto is often confused with Pistou which is made in Provence with a different recipe.