Green Risotto with Fava Beans
lb fresh – unshelled fava beans
cups chicken broth
tbsp butter – divided
small onion – finely chopped
cup Arborio rice
cup white wine
cup grated Reggiano Parmesan cheese
salt to taste
How to make Green Risotto with Fava Beans
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Shell the fava beans and discard the pods.
- Boil the beans for 4 mins and strain them,before immediately plungingthem into ice water.
- Let the beans cool for 2 mins.
- Pierce the favas and squeeze them out of their skins.
- Separate 3/4 of the favas and puree in a food processor.
- Bring the broth to a simmer in a large separate saucepan.
- Melt 1.5 tbsp of butter in another large saucepan over medium heat and add the onions.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 5 mins.
- Note: Do not brown the onions.
- Add the rice and cook, while stirring, for 2 mins.
- Add the wine while increasing the heat to medium.
- When the wine has been absorbed, add a little of the hot stock.
- Once the stock is absorbed, add a little more.
- Repeat this processuntil the rice is cooked through while continuing to constantly stir the pan.
- Add the pureed favas, the remaining 1.5 tbsp of butter, the remainingfava beans, and the cheese to the cooked rice.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring until the butter and cheese melt and the puree is evenly mixed throughout the dish.
- Season with salt.
Fava beans are also known as a broad bean.