How to make Gajar Ka Halwa
- Begin by washing, peeling and grating the carrots.
- In a pot, pour milk, grated carrots with cardamom. Bring the milk to boil and simmer it onreduced flame until the liquid evaporates. This takes approximately10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a heavy pan, heat ghee and add the carrot mix. Stir for a few minutes and cover. Leave it to cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add sugar and stir some more. Leave it to cook for 10-15 minutesor until the carrots change color too deep dark red.
- Garnish with raisins, dates, walnuts, cashew nuts, and almonds.
- Serve hot or cold!
- In the beginning of times, people use to grow carrots as a medicine for treating variety of ailmentsand not as a food.
- The first nation thought to have cultivatedcarrots was Afghanistan. It then spread to other parts of the world.
- While other vegetables turn to mush in winter if not dug out, carrots cover themselves with light frost, without getting frozen, an survive all winter.
- 88% of a carrot is water.
- While the most widelyavailablecolors of carrots are orange and red. This vegetable can also be found in white, purple, and yellow.
- We all know Bugs Bunny and his love for carrots. Surprisingly, Mel Blanc, the voice behind the famous cartooncharacterdid not like carrots.