Fig and Goat Cheese Pizza
How to Make Fig and Goat Cheese Pizza
- In a large bowl pour water and add yeast to it.
- Without mixing it, let it stay still for a few minutes to let the yeast dissolve.
- Add oil, flour, and salt in order to make dough. Stir the mixture till you find the dough impossible to stir, flour a flat surface, and put out the now stiff dough onto it from the bowl and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough into a well-oiled bowl, cover with a cloth, and then set it aside for 45 minutes.
- Place the figs in already boiled water for 10 minutes, drain the water, chop up the figs and then set them aside.
- In a skillet heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat and then add onions to it, cook till they are soft.
- Reduce the stove to low heat and then season the onion with salt. Continue to cook and stir until the onions become dark brown. Add the thyme, fennel seeds, and figs, remove them from the heat.
- Set the oven to preheat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Punch down on the pizza dough and stretch it into a circle which is about ¼ inch thick.
- Place the now flattened dough on a slightly greased pan and brush the surface lightly with olive oil. Spread the onion and fig mixture on the crust and then dot with the pieces of goat cheese.
Bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes in the oven until you see the crust has turned golden brown.
During ancient times, the Olympic athletes would use figs in generous amounts as training food. Figs were also presented as gifts to the winners during the first Olympic games, making them the first Olympic medals.