- 1 big eggplant—halved lengthways and then sliced
- 2 zucchini (courgette)—sliced
- 3 bell peppers (yellow or red)—deseeded and cut into strips or slices
- 1 medium-sized onion—roughly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp herbes de Provence (usually a blend of dried thyme, rosemary, marjoram, savory and oregano or a combination thereof; can be substituted with fresh herbs if available)
- 6 ripe tomatoes—roughly sliced
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes (2x 14 ounces / 400g)
- 1/2 bunch of fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Crusty bread-like baguette to serve
How to make Eggplant & Zucchini Ratatouille
The traditional way to cook ratatouille is to fry the vegetables separately. This way you don't overcrowd the pan which would steam the ingredients rather than fry them.
Ratatouille is an incredibly versatile dish. You can also include other seasonal vegetables like squash, pumpkin, carrot, turnip, and parsnip to prepare this dish.
Enjoy the dish and happy cooking!