- 4 big eggplants, cut into equal sized chunks (when prepared in advance soak chunks in water to avoid discolouration)
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp split red lentils
- 2 tbsp oil (vegetable or coconut, not olive oil)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 6-8 curry leaves (fresh or dried)
- 2-4 tsp chilli powder (amount depends on the heat of the powder and your preference)
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely diced
- salt to taste
How to make Egg plant Poriyal
There are many variations of this dish. Everybody seems to have their favourite little twist and 'secret' ingredient.
This style of stew is very adaptable to the content of your fridge and your imagination.
Eggplant - Aubergine - Brinjal
What is the difference?
There is none.
The French word aubergine is mostly used in the UK and Europe while eggplant is the American/Australian version of the same vegetable.
On the Indian subcontinent and in South Asia, brinjal is the traditional and most common name.