How to make Dondakaya Fry
- Wash the dondakayalu (ivy gourds) thoroughly and cut the tips from both sides.
- Cut each dondakaya in two halves, length wise and then slice them long and thin.
- Dry roast cumin seeds and garlic cloves.
- Mix coconut, peeled roasted peanuts, chilis, cumin seeds, and garlic cloves. Grind to make a coarse powder.
- Pour oil in a thick bottomed pan and heat it.
- Add mustard seeds, and when they splutter, add the curry leaves and stir for a minute.
- Add the sliced dondakaya, salt, and turmeric powder and mix well. Keep stirring on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the flame, cover with a lid, and cook till tender for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the coarse ground powder, mix it thoroughly, and let it cook, without cover for 2 minutes on low heat and switch off the gas.
Dondakaya is native to north-central part of East Africa. The roots, leaves, and fruits of this plant are used in preparing ayurvedic medicines. Ivy gourd is also known as baby watermelon. It grows very fast as it is a climber.