How to Make Dirty Rice
- In a large sieve put all the rice and rinse it with water. Keep rinsing until the water runs clear.
- Take a large clean pot and transfer all the rinsed rice into it. Add chicken stock on top of it. Place the pot on high heat and bring it to a boil.
- Now cover the pot, lower the heat and let it simmer for around 20 minutes making sure that it does not overcook.
- Take another pot and pour vegetable oil into it. Add garlic, bell peppers, and onions and sauté until soft for about 15 minutes.
- Season this with bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Now add the rice in this pot.
- Take a sauté pan and cook ground beef and sausage together. Once cooked add it to the pot containing rice.
- In a separate pot pour water and place giblets in them. Add green onion, pepper, and salt and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Let it cool for a while, chop it into dices and add it to the rice.
- Now mix rice well with the help of two spoons, place it on the lowest heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes while continuously stirring it for all the flavors to combine together.
It is a traditional cuisine invented by Creoles, people of the racial mix between colonial era emigrants and non-Europeans, and is also known as rice dressing in some southern regions.