Cucumber and Avocado Sushi
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup uncooked glutinous white rice – sushi rice
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 pinch salt
4 sheets nori – dry seaweed
1/2 cucumber – sliced into thin strips
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and sliced
How to make Cucumber and Avocado Sushi
- Combine the water and rice in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan, reduce thetemperature to low, and let it simmer for 20 mins, or until the rice turns tender and the water has been fully absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vinegar with a pinch of salt.
- Cover a bamboo sushi mat with plastic wrap.
- Note:This prevents the rice from sticking.
- Place a sheet of seaweed over the plastic.
- Spread the rice evenly onto the sheet using your hands.
- Leave about 1/2 inch of seaweed empty at the bottom.
- Place strips of cucumber and avocado across the center of the rice.
- Lift the mat, roll the vegetables over once, and press down.
- Unroll, then roll again towards the exposed end of the seaweed sheet to make a long roll.
- Note: Moisten with a little water to help seal the roll.
- Set aside and repeat the process with the remaining nori sheets, rice, and fillings.
- Use a sharp wet knife to slice the rolls into multiple slices.
- Note:This roll should produce around 5-6 slices.
- Serve cut side up with your favorite sushi condiments.
Traditionally, sushi is eaten with fingers instead of chopsticks.