How to make Cochinita Pibil
- Using a fork, poke holes all over the pork.
- Rub achiote paste over the entire surface of the pork then set aside.
- Mix together the orange juice, lemon juice, and habanero peppers in a large bowl.
- Mix in the cumin, paprika, chili powder, coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Place pork in the mixture.
- Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Note: Turn over the pork two or three times.
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- Wrap the pork and marinade in banana leaves that have been soaked in water for 30 mins.
- Note: You can also use aluminum foil in place of banana leaves.
- Place into a casserole dish, and cover.
- Bake the dish for about 2 hrs or until the meat falls off the bone.
- Note: The slower you cook it, the better it is.
- Note: You could also bake it in a 200°F oven for 4 or 5 hours.
- Prepare the sauce while the pork is cooking.
- Bring the red wine vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add onions, reduce the temperature to medium-low, and let simmer until they turn tender.
- Pour the sauce over the pork.
- Serve with white rice and corn tortillas and enjoy!
Cochinita Pibil is the favorite food of Johnny Depp's character in the movie Once Upon a Time in Mexico.