How to Make Crab biryani
- Season the crab with 1 tbsp of turmeric and ½ tbsp of salt. Marinate for an hour.
- Stir in the mustard seed and hot water in a small bowl. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Grind the seeds into a paste.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the crabs and fry until they change color.
- Remove the crabs and set aside. Add sliced onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat until the onions are tender.
- Increase the heat to high, stir in potatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, cardamom pods and stir for about half a minute.
- Stir tomatoes, ginger paste and garlic paste. Cut the chillis into small pieces and add to the skillet. Cook for two minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add remaining 1 tbsp turmeric, pepper and mustard paste. Add the crabs to the skillet. Submerge the vegetables in water.
- Bring the water to a boil and add salt to taste.
- Cover the skillet and reduce the heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender and water content is halved.
- Garnish the gravy with lemon over the finished dish and serve with rice.
- There are over 4500 species of crabs that live in coastal areas of fresh water.
- Crabs vary in size, some reaching only 0.5 inches in length while others stretching up to 12 feet.