How to make Chalau Recipe
- Heat a 1/2 cup of oil in a large heavy skillet at a medium-low temperature.
- Add the onion, and fry gently until the onion turns transparent.
- Increase the temperature to medium and add the garlic and stew meat.
- Cook while frequentlystirring, until the meat is browned on the outside.
- Pour in the water, and season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and cumin.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce thetemperature to a low setting.
- Cover the pan and continue cooking for 1 ½-2 hrs.
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add rice and cook while frequentlystirring for 5 mins.
- Add 6 cups of water and bring pot to a boil.
- Reduce thetemperature to low, and cook loosely covered for about 30 mins, or until rice is tender.
- Add spinach and cilantro to the meat mixture, and cook for another 10-15 min.
- Form the rice into a mound on a platter, and spoon some of the lamb stew over it.
- Put the remaining stew in a separate serving bowl.
Many different Middle Eastern countries have a variation of Chalau.