Caramelized Banana Pudding
How to Make Caramelized Banana Pudding
For the Pudding
- In a clean, medium-sized bowl whisk egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar and salt until the mixture turns light yellow.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk it with the egg yolk mixture a little at a time.
- When the bottom of the bowl is warm, whisk in the remaining hot milk.
- Pour the egg yolk and milk mixture into a clean medium-sized saucepan.
- Add banana liqueur to the pan and whisk the mixture over a medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Keep whisking and cook the pudding for 1-2 more minutes until it becomes glossy and thick. Then transfer the pudding to a clean bowl.
- Add vanilla and butter to the pudding and gently whisk everything together until the butter is incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
For the Crumble
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put wafers in a sealable plastic bag and close it, making sure there is no air inside. Then use a rolling pin to crush the wafers and coarsely grind them.
- Transfer crushed wafers to a bowl, stir in butter, cinnamon, sugar and salt.
- Add the wafer and butter mixture to the baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until fragrant and brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Quarter the bananas by cutting in half lengthwise, then slicing crosswise so you have 4 pieces.
- Slice each quarter into ½ inch pieces and divide between 6 cups or serving bowls.
- Whisk the pudding for about 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Divide evenly between the cups and top with bakes vanilla wafer crumble.
- Serve immediately.
In October 2010 the first ever National Banana Pudding Festival was held at the Centerville River Park near Centerville Public Square in Centerville, Tennessee. It’s a 2-day event and is celebrated each year in the first weekend of October.