How to Make Cannoli Cake Roll
- Heat the oven to over 375 degrees F. Apply oil grease on one 15 ½ by 10 ½ pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Pour the eggs in a small bowl, beat the egg yolks, vanilla and ¼ cup of sugar at high speed until the mixture turns into a lemon color.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg whites, tartar cream and salt until you get a thick mixture in stiff peaks.
- Transfer the mixture to another large bowl. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into beaten egg yolks. Sift and fold the flour into the egg mixture.
- Using a metal spatula, spread the batter evenly on the pan. Bake the pan at 375 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
- In a separate cup, mix 2 tbsp of orange liquid with 1 tbsp water and 1 tbsp sugar until it dissolves.
- Sprinkle a clean cloth with the dusting sugar. Once hot cake is ready, invert onto towel.
- In food processor, blend the ricotta cheese, vanilla and cinnamon until it becomes smooth.
- Assemble the cannoli by gently unrolling cooled cake. Spread the cake to the edges with a metal spatula. Place the rolled cake on a platter
Cannolis were first popularized by the popular crime syndicate show, The Sopranos, in which they frequently talked about home-made cannolis. The dish caught mainstream significance in the US ever since.