How to Make Beignets
- Take a mixing bowl.
- Add half a cup of water and yeast into the bowl and mix it up until you see bubbles forming in the water.
- Add salt, lemon zest, nutmeg and egg into the bowl.
- Whisk all the ingredients well.
- Take a larger mixing bowl.
- Add milk and the whisked ingredients into it.
- Pour all-purpose flour into the bowl.
- Mix half the flour well with the rest of the ingredients until a smooth batter is prepared.
- Add butter into the batter and whisk once more.
- Add the remaining flour into the batter and knead it with your hands until it turns into fine dough.
- Take a separate bowl and grease it with vegetable oil.
- Put the dough inside the bowl, cover it up and set it aside for at least an hour to rise.
- After an hour, the dough should be double in size.
- Take the dough and roll it until it is an inch thick.
- Use some dry flour while rolling the dough to make sure it doesn’t stick to the rolling platform.
- Cut the dough into square shaped pieces.
- Place the Beignets on a baking sheet, cover it and set it aside to let them rise for another half an hour.
- Heat up a deep frying pan with 3 to 4 cups of vegetable oil on high heat for deep frying the Beignets.
- Fry the Beignets for 2 to 3 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Remove them from the pan and place them on a paper towel so it can soak all the excess oil.
- Put them in a serving dish and sprinkle powdered sugar on top to serve!
- The King of Beignets is Café Due Monde in the New Orleans’ French Quarter. They have been serving Beignets there since 1862.
- Beignets are the official State doughnuts of Louisiana.
Beignets are generally enjoyed with dark roasted coffee.