For the Beef :
- 1 boneless top-round roast or chuck roast
- 6 cloves of garlic (halved)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onions –thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups water (plus more as needed)
- prepared white horseradish for serving
For the Rolls :
- 12 kaiser rolls (you can use any other firm sandwich buns)
- 1/4 cup coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup whole caraway seeds
- 1 large egg (white only)
- 1 tbsp water
Straight from western New York, Beef on Weck is a delicious, meaty sandwich representative of the local flavours of the Buffalo region. The sandwich is made with tender beef roast slices topped with horse radish, layered in toasted buns and served with an au jus for dipping.
The beef in the sandwich is an excellent source of protein and iron, which is necessary to prevent anaemia and other diseases. Also, the sandwich is an excellent source of carbohydrates and instant energy which comes from the bread.
How to Make Beef on Weck Sandwich
For the Beef
For the Rolls
Beef on Weck
While the origins of the sandwich are not clearly known, its creation is credited to a local pub owner in New York who used a kummelweck roll and layered with slow roasted beef.