- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion (chopped coarsely)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper (fresh)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 14 pieces or 8 ounce packet Cannelloni or Manicotti pasta
- 3 cups mozzarella (shredded)
- 115 ounce packet ricotta cheese (low or full fat)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh italian parsley (chopped)
- 3 cups marinara or pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp butter (sliced)
Coming from the rich Italian cuisine, Manicotti is a dish of pasta filled with savory fillings and topped with a tangy tomato sauce.
Locally called cannelloni in Italy, Manicotti is traditionally served on Sundays after church. After the Second World War many Italians immigrated to America, especially New York. Here cannelloni got the name Manicotti, and became one of the famous dishes served by Italian eateries in Brooklyn.
Traditionally, squares or rounds of pasta are filled with ricotta cheese and some sort of meat or vegetable topped with tomato sauce, ragù or béchamel.
This recipe is a delicious version of the dish made with a beef and cheese filling that will get your mouth watering just by its aroma.
How to Make Beef and Cheese Manicotti
Sautéing Beef and Onions
Beef and Cheese Filling