How to Make Classy Zuppa Toscana
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook. Break the sausage while cooking using a wooden spoon.
- Cook the sausage for five minutes or until brown and thoroughly cooked.
- Add onion and garlic to the sausage and season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté for three minutes until softened.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes, and stir to combine the mixture.
- Let the mixture boil and then lower the heat to let the mixture simmer gently.
- Cover the oven and let the mixture cook for twenty minutes until the potatoes are soft and falling apart.
- Add kale to the mixture and cook until the color of kale changes to bright green and the leaves turn tender.
- Stir the cream into the mixture and season with salt and pepper as per taste.
- Serve with parmesan cheese garnishing.
- The literal translation of Zuppa Toscana is "Tuscan soup." It denotes its preparation in the style prevalent in Tuscany.
- Zuppa Toscana is made in an American version using the Italian sausage, onion, peppers, garlic puree, cream, potatoes, and kale.
- The American restaurant chain, Olive Garden makes Zuppa Toscana that is commonly referred across the country.