Authentic Pad Thai Noodles
cup dried rice vermicelli
cup peanut oil
cup firm tofu – thinly sliced
large egg – beaten
cloves garlic – finely chopped
cup vegetable broth
tbsp fresh lime juice
tbsp soy sauce
tbsp white sugar
tsp dried red chili flakes
tbsp chopped peanuts
lb bean sprouts – divided
green onion whites – cut thinly across
greens – sliced into thin lengths
tbsp peanuts – chopped
limes for garnish – cut into wedges
How to make Authentic Pad Thai Noodles
- Soak the vermicelli noodles in a bowl filled with hot water.
- Let it soften.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in a large wok at a medium high temperature.
- Cook and stir tofu in the wok.
- Rotate the pieces until they are golden on all sides.
- Remove the tofu using a slotted spoon.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Pour oil out of wok into a small bowl.
- Leave 1 tbsp of oil behind in the wok.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in the wok at a medium temperature until the oil begins to sizzle.
- Pour in beaten egg and lightly toss to scramble it.
- Remove scrambled egg from the wok then set aside.
- Pour the oil you set aside in the bowl into the wok.
- Toss garlic and drained noodles in wok until they are coated with oil.
- Stir in sugar, soy sauce, vegetable broth, and lime juice.
- Toss the noodles and gently push them around the pan to coat with sauce.
- Gently mix in chili flakes, salt, tofu, scrambled egg, and 3 tbsp of peanuts.
- Toss to mix all ingredients.
- Mix in the green onions and bean sprouts.
- Reserve about 1 tbsp of each for garnish.
- Cook and stir until the bean sprouts soften slightly.
- Arrange noodles on a warm serving platter.
- Garnish with 3 tbsp of peanuts and the reserved green onions and bean sprouts.
- Place lime wedges around the edges of the platter.