- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour 2 round 9-inch pans.
- Combine eggs, cake mix, oil, buttermilk, and 1/4 cup amaretto.
- Beat at a medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Pour into 2 round 9 in pans.
- Bake at 350 °F for 35 minutes.
- A toothpick inserted into the cake should emerge clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Slice each layer in half horizontally.
- Make apricot filling
- Combine 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp amaretto and the drained apricots together inside a blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Place bottom layer of cake on serving dish.
- Spread 1/3 of apricot filling on cake layer.
- Repeat with other layers.
- Frost the cake using the Amaretto Cheese Frosting.
Amaretto Cheese Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and 3 tbsps amaretto In a medium bowl until it turns soft.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar.
- Frost the top and sides of cake.
Amaretto is made from almond kernels.