How to make Patatas Bravas
- Add the potatoes in a pot with water and bring to boil. Let them cook at high heat.
- Dice the onion in fine chunks and chop the garlic and cayenne peppers.
- Heat two spoonful of oil, preferably olive oil and stir-fry the onion until it becomes transparent.
- When the onion is ready, add the garlic and the cayenne peppers. When the garlic is browned, remove from fire and add the paprika. Stir well so it mixes properly and simmer.
- Add the cup of tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes while continuously stirring so it doesn't stick. Add the sugar and salt.
- Dissolve the flour in half a cup of water and add to the tomato sauce, mix well and cover with water. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the vinegar. Add the sauce in the mixer and blend until there are no lumps.
- Once the potatoes are soft, let them cool until they reach room temperature. Peel and cut in irregular cubes, each about 3 cm thick.
- In a frying pan heat abundant olive oil and fry the potatoes in several batches.
- Once they are brown put the potatoes in an absorbent paper so any excess oil is drained
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl and pour the desired amount of sauce and the dish is ready to serve.
Did you know potatoes are closely related to both tomatoes and tobacco? Also, it is one of the most important of crops grown across the world next to rice, wheat and corn.