How to make Akki Rotti
- Cover the mung beans with water.
- Drain the beans making sure to preserve the soaking water.
- Combine the salt, cumin seeds, mung beans, rice flour, green chile, asafoetida, cilantro, coconut, and shredded carrots, in a small bowl.
- Add water.
- Mix with your hands to form a workable dough.
- Note: Use only as much water as necessary (about 1/2 cup).
- Shape the dough into tennis ball sized spheres.
- Flatten 1 portion of the dough into a thin round.
- Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a skillet or griddle at a medium temperature.
- Place the rotti in the oil.
- Fry until the rotti turns a golden brown, about 30-40 seconds.
- Flip the rotti over and fry again until the side turns golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Note: Add 2 tbsp of oil to the griddle for each rotti.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Akki rotti literally translates to "rice bread".