Vegetable Beetroot Borscht
olive oil (use only olive oil for a vegan version)
large beetroots – peeled
large onion – peeled
large carrot – peeled
small crisp apple - peeled (optional)
chopped tomatoes (from a tin)
8 ½ cups
hot vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper to season
Fresh dill to garnish
Sour cream to serve (about 2 tbsp per serving) - omit for vegan version
Olive oil to drizzle
How to make Vegetable Beetroot Borscht
- Coarsely grate the vegetables and apple, ideally, using a food processor.
- Add butter and olive oil to a large pot and heat until butter melts.
- Tip the grated vegetables/apple into the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, cloves and allspice, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer,
- Partially cover the pot and cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Stir in a good handful of chopped fresh dill or add a little as a garnish.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of olive oil.