How to make Vazhakkai Bajji
- Combine the gram flour, red chilli powder, asafoetida, sodium bi carb, salt, corn flour, hot oil, and ghee, rice flour, and jeera together in a bowl.
- Add water a little at a time.
- Mix well using a whisk to make a thick batter.
- Note: The batter should not be too thick and easily coat the vazhakkai.
- Peel off the skin of the plantain using a peeler or knife.
- Slice the plantain into thin or medium thick slices.
- Keep the plantain immersed in water until ready to use.
- Heat oil in kadai side by side.
- Remove the plantain from the water.
- Drain the water as much as possible.
- Dip and coat the vazhakkai with the batter.
- Drop the plantain carefully in the hot oil.
- Fry them both sides until golden brown.
- Adjust the heat occasionally to stop the oil from fuming.
- Continue pouring the hot oil over the bajji with a ladle as it is cooking, so it is puffed up.
- Drain using paper towels.
There is no formal botanical distinction between plantains and bananas.