- Beat the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl for a couple of minutes.
- Add salt and beat for 30 seconds until thick.
- Slowly add the vegetable oil, either in a thin stream or drop by drop, while beating all the while. If at any point, it appears that the oil is not being incorporated, stop adding oil and whisk until smooth, and then resume adding the oil. As the mixture thickens, the addition of oil can be quickened.
- Add olive oil and beat the mayonnaise for another 30 seconds until thick and glossy.
- Mix the lemon juice, mustard and pepper into the mayonnaise.
- Any further ingredients like chopped herbs, garlic should be stirred in before putting the mayonnaise in a jar and in the fridge until you are ready to eat it.
- Mustard sauce can be substituted for the mustard powder
- Lemon juice can be substituted with white-wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- Adding a tablespoon of boiling water in the end stops it from developing a skin in the fridge and mellows the flavour if any of the ingredients are a bit too much for your taste, or if the consistency is too thick.