How to make Tangy Tomato & Potato Curry
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker on medium flame and add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seed start to crackle, add cumin seeds and fry for about 3 seconds.
- Turn the heat to low and add asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger and green chilies and stir for a few seconds
- Add tomatoes and sauté until they become soft and release oil on the sides.
- Add potatoes and water to the cooker; mix well, cover with lid and cook up to 1 whistle.
- Let the pressure subside before removing the lid.
- Sprinkle dry fenugreek and coriander and serve hot.
- You can add a teaspoon of fresh cream if you want a richer curry.
- Ireland, which is known for their potatoes, suffered a great famine in 1845-1852, which was caused by a disease in the potatoes called blight. The disease led to devastation and death of more than 1 million people who were dependent on potatoes.
- Potatoes was initially cultivated in Spain, and got the name from the word patata. They introduced potatoes to Europe in early 1500s.
- The scientific name for tomatoes is Lycopersicon lycopersicum, which means wolf peach.
There are more than 10,000 varieties of tomatoes, which come in red, green, purple, black, white and yellow colors.