How to make Keema Dum Biryani
- Add the turmeric powder to the keema and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom and mace.
- Add the onions and fry on low to medium flame until brown.
- Add flavour to the masala with a teaspoon of mint and chopped coriander leaves each.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes and add the tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste. Continue cooking till the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp.
- Add the marinated keema and stir while cooking on low flame.
- Add red chili and garam masala powders and stir to break the keema finely.
- Add the curd and salt to taste and mix properly.
- Cook under pressure and switch off the flame after 5 whistles.
- Allow the keema masala to cool.
How to cook the rice:
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Boil 7 cups of water and add the rice, 1 tbsp oil and salt.
- Cook in low-medium flame until the rice is half-cooked.
- Drain the water and evenly spread the rice on a plate.
How to make the dum:
- In the same pressure cooker, make a layer of rice and make another layer over it with the keema masala.
- Garnish with coriander and mint leaves and ½ tsp kewra essence.
- Continue making such layers until the cooker is full.
- Heat a tawa and place the pressure cooker on it.
- Cook covered in a low flame for 25-30 minutes.
- Mix the biryani and serve hot with onion raita.
The word “Keema” is borrowed from the Turkish word “Kiyma”, which means minced meat.