Chettinad Chicken Biryani
Split green chilies
tsp turmeric powder
tsp red chili powder
tsp garam masala
Aachi chicken powder
salt to taste
cup mint leaves
tbsp ginger garlic paste
tsp kesari powder
tbsp chopped coriander leaves
How to make Chettinad Chicken Biriyani
- Heat oil in a pan and add butter, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamoms, cloves and star anise.
- Sauté for a minute and add the chopped onions and green chilies.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add ginger-garlic paste and mint leaves.
- Sauté for 2 minutes and add the tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add chicken pieces and stir to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes and add turmeric, red chilli, garam masala and coriander powders and curd.
- Season with salt and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- In a pan, boil water, and add basmati rice, ghee, kesari powder, lemon juice and salt.
- Cook covered for 15 minutes.
How to make the dum:
- Heat a tawa, place a pan over it. Add alternating layers of rice and chicken and cook in low flame for 15 minutes.
- Stir to combine prior to serving
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with raita.
Chettinad chicken biriyani is a specialty of the Nattukotai Chettiars (Nagarathars) who belong to the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu. It is among the spiciest biriyanis of India.