How to Make Skillet Spinach Lasagna
- Heat a 12 inch ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Add Italian sausage to the skillet and sauté for 8 minutes or until cooked through and browned.
- Reduce the heat to a medium and add Italian seasoning, tomatoes and ½ tsp. salt; stir and cook for 4 minutes or until the sauce starts simmering.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix the ricotta cheese, egg, remaining salt and 1 cup mozzarella.
- Remove skillet from flame and remove 3 cups of sauce in a separate bowl.
- Preheat the oven broiler with the rack 6 inches from the heat.
- Layer lasagna noodles on top of the sauce in the skillet, covering the entire surface.
- Top the noodles with 1 cup of reserved sauce, ¾ cup ricotta cheese and 3 cups of spinach.
- Repeat step 7 twice except omit the third layer of spinach.
- Cover and return the skillet to a medium flame and cook until the sauce begins to boil and noodles soften i.e. about 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, top with the remaining 1 cup of spinach, cover and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from flame, uncover and add the remaining mozzarella.
- Put the skillet in the oven and broil for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese melts and bubbles.
- Garnish with basil and serve hot.
- Lasagna, an Italian dish is named after the pot it was used to be cooked in. The word in English means chamber pot.
Did you know that there is a whole holiday dedicated to lasagne? July 29th is celebrated as National Lasagna Day in the US.