How to make Rum Balls
- Preheat the oven to about 350 degrees Celsius. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and keep aside.
- Add water in a pan and allow it to boil on a low flame. In a heat-proof bowl, melt chocolate and butter over the pan. Stir occasionally. Keep aside.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together. Add the chocolate mixture and the flour. Whisk nicely.
- Pour the batter into the baking sheet. Spread the batter evenly. Bake in the preheated oven until the top turns shiny. Insert a toothpick and check if the cake is done.
- Allow it to cool on a wire rack. Break the brownie into small pieces, transfer to the electric mixer bowl with a paddle. Set the machine on a low speed and add rum. Continue mixing until all the crumbs form a ball. Shape into 1 in balls and roll in sanding sugar to have a coating of the sugar. Refrigerate with the baking sheet uncovered for approx 2 hours. You could serve it chilled or at room temperature as per individual liking.
- You could refrigerate rum balls in an airtight container for 7 days. You could also roll rum balls in desiccated coconut.
Did you know that the Caribbean pirates used to drink rum? The Royal Navy soldiers consumed rum with lime juice since it was believed to fight scurvy!