How to Make Potato Skins
Bake the Potatoes
- Thoroughly clean the potatoes and pierce them with a sharp fork a few times and rub some olive oil over them.
- Put them to bake in an oven at 400°F for about an hour until the potatoes are cooked through.
- If baking in a microwave, place them on a higher setting at roughly 5 minutes per potato.
Cook the Bacon
- Fry the bacon strips in a pan on medium flame until they turn golden brown and crisp.
Prep the Potatoes
- Once baked, allow the potatoes to cool down.
- Cut them into halves, scoop out the flesh.
Bake the Skin
- Brush the potato skins inside out with canola oil, sprinkle some salt and place on a baking rack in a preheated oven @ 450° F.
- Cook for 10 minutes on both the sides.
Add Bacon and Cheese
- Add the grated cheese, crumbled bacon and top it with some ground black pepper.
- Bake again for about 2 minutes until the cheese melts.
Garnish with Sour Cream and Green Onions
- Add a generous dollop of sour cream and green onions over each potato skin and serve immediately.
- Potatoes is the world's most popular vegetable and the fourth largest food crop.
- Not all of them have brown skin. Ireland's popular potatoes known as rooster have red skin and the ones in Scotland have purple skin.
- There are about 5000 varieties of potatoes!
- On an average, a person eats 33 kgs of potato per year.