How to Make Pasta e Fagioli
For the Pasta
- Take a big pot, fill it up with 4 to 5 glasses of water, sprinkle salt to taste in it and bring it to boil. As it comes to boil add pasta into it. Cover it and let it cook on the side.
- When it is done, drain the hot water of the pasta and run it through room temperature water.
- Set aside the hot water in a separate pan to reuse while making broth for the soup.
- Set aside the pasta until it is needed for the soup.
For the Soup
- Take a deep pan and heat up oil into it.
- Add onion into the pan. Fry it until it turns light brown then add chopped garlic cloves, crushed tomatoes and half of the cannellini beans. Mix them well and fry for a few minutes.
- Now add the boiled pasta into the pan and mix well as it simmers for a couple of minutes.
- Add some of the hot water from the pasta into the pan to make the mixture soupy. Keep the heat very low at this point.
- Add salt, black pepper powder, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook for five minutes then take it off the heat.
- Sprinkle some parmesan cheese in your bowl and serve it hot!
- Pasta e Fagioli is also known as the Pasta Fazool.
- Pasta e Fagioli means the past and beans soup.
- It is one of the most inexpensive dishes to make.
- It was first made keeping in mind the poorest Italian people.