Pasta Casserole with Aggiano Cheese
extra virgin olive oil
whole wheat pasta shells
sea salt to taste
finely chopped onion
chopped garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups
Freshly chopped parsley for garnishing
How to Make Pasta Casserole with Aggiano Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Evenly butter a large casserole dish.
- Boil the pasta in salted water. Once boiled, drain the water. Set aside.
- Medium heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet. Add in the onions. Cook until they turn golden brown. Add in the salt, garlic and spinach. Cook until the spinach is broken down into pieces. This will take about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the almonds and half of the lemon zest.
- Add the mixture to the pasta. Stir until well-combined, for a minute.
- Now sprinkle the rest of the lemon zest on the bottom of the baking dish. Add a layer of the pasta. Now layer it with Aggiano cheese. Add another layer of the pasta, and then evenly spread the layer of Aggiano cheese. Repeat the process until all the ingredients are utilized.
- Cover the dish with a foil, and bake for 30 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Garnish it with parsley. Serve and enjoy!
- Aggiano is typically dry and firm
- It is produced by Beehive Cheese Company in Utah, United States
It gets its name from the Utah State University Aggies, who have suggested the recipe of this type of hard cheese.