Mushroom & Spinach Biryani
tbsp vegetable oil
small onion – cut into ½ in diced pieces
cups halved and sliced mushrooms
large carrot – grated
cups Basmati rice – uncooked
tsps hot curry powder
small fresh red chilli – stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
oz piece fresh ginger root – peeled and grated
cups vegetable stock
tsp sea salt
cups fresh spinach leaves
cup roasted cashews
Large handful cilantro leaves – chopped
A handful of mint leaves
How to make Mushroom & Spinach Biryani
- Combine the oil, onion, mushrooms, and carrot in a pressure cooker that has a capacity of at least 6 quarts.
- Cook uncovered over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally taking care not to let the vegetables burn, until they turn a deep brown color and are caramelized and aromatic.
- Stir in the rice, curry powder, chili, cardamom, saffron, and ginger.
- Cook for a minute and stir to coat the rice with the oil.
- Add vegetable stock and and season with salt.
- Lock on the pressure cooker lid and bring to high pressure.
- Lower the heat as much as you can while still retaining high pressure, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning.
Taste, and adjust the seasoning.
- Stir in the spinach, turn the flame to medium and cook uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir occasionally until any remaining liquid is almost completely absorbed and the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in cashews and chopped herbs.
- Serve and enjoy!
Mushrooms are a natural pesticide.