- 4-5 tbsp sesame oil — for cooking
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves — chopped
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 tbsp onions — chopped
- salt — according to taste
- a pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- 2 1/2 cups of idly or dosa batter
How to make Masala Paniyaram Recipe
Interestingly, the paniyaram pan used in this masala paniyaram recipe has variants used across the world. For instance, similar pans are found in Denmark for making special kinds of pancakes. Since pancakes were made traditionally with bits of apple, the pan is termed “ebleskiver” pan, which is Danish for apple slices.
It is thus easy to make paniyaram wherever you are in the world! It’s indeed remarkable how similar cooking utensils and equipment find their way into very different cuisines and cultures.