- Preheat the oven at 180 Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a sieve and sift into a mixing bowl. Remove any lumps by pressing them with a spoon.
- Melt butter for half a minute. Add powdered sugar to the butter and whip to make a smooth batter.
- Add vanilla essence to the batter. Mix the desiccated coconut into the batter. Transfer the sifted flour to the batter.
- Knead with milk to make a soft, creamy dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Grease a baking tray with butter.
- Take the dough out from the refrigerator and divide into 25 small pieces of equal size. Shape the pieces into round balls and flatten them slightly with hand. Place the balls in the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until golden in color.
- Take the baking tray out from the oven; allow the cookies to cool. Sprinkle some powdered sugar over cookies and they are ready to serve.
Coconut cookie recipe has no secret ingredient: it’s the coconut that does wonders! Coconut is a pre-historic plant that originated in India and south east Asia. These coconuts spread all over the world by themselves owing to their floating property. The modern name “Coconut” was given by Portuguese sailors during 16thand 17th century. They named it ‘COCO’ as the shell looks like a skull and the three dots on it resemble a human face. The word ‘NUT’ was added by the British!