Manathakkali Keerai Kootu Recipe
1 medium-sized bunch - manathakkali keerai / black nightshade
1/3 cup - toor dal
a pinch - turmeric powder
1 onion, large, finely chopped
1 green chili, finely chopped
1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
½ tsp chili powder
salt as per taste
For the seasoning
1 tsp mustard
3/4 tsp urad dal
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 red chili
a pinch asafetida
2 tsp oil
How to make Manathakkali Keerai Kootu
- Wash the leaves well. Chop if necessary.
- Cook the leaves in less water until it is tender. Mush it well and keep it aside
- Pressure cook toor dal with a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Once it is soft, mash it well.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. After 10-15 seconds, add the other ingredients for seasoning.
- Add onions and saute until it turns golden brown.
- Add ginger, garlic, and green chili, sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder and cook until tomatoes become mushy.
- Add cooked greens, dal, salt as per taste and bring it to boil.
- Serve with hot rice or use it as a side dish for roti and rice.
TIP: You can substitute manathakkali keerai with spinach or sorrel leaves.
- People use the whole black nightshade plant including leaves, fruit, and root to make medicine.
- Ancient Greece has a long history of using black nightshade for medicines.