How to make Malpua
Making The Batter:
- Mix flour, fennel seeds, and cardamom in a bowl.
- Add water and thickened milk to the flour mixture and stir very well. Knead the flour mixture to form small pieces of batter.
- Cover the bowl containing the batter and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
Making The Sugar Syrup:
- Boil the sugar and water in a pot until the sugar syrup becomes sticky.
- Reduce the heat so that the sugar syrup remains warm.
Making The Malpua:
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the small pieces of batter well until the color turns golden.
- Flip the batter so that other sides can be properly fried too. Drain excess oil from the fried batter and cool it down a little bit.
- Dip the fried batter in the sugar syrup.
- Garnish with pistachios, if desired. Serve at once.
- As long as 10,000 years ago, people in Italy and Russia had started processing fern roots into choice flour.