How to Make Macaroni Salad
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts water and 1 tbsp. salt to a boil. Add pasta and cook until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Set aside.
- Pour pasta into a large bowl. Add cheese, ham, eggs, bacon, celery, broccoli, pepper, and green onions. Stir to combine.
- Add most of the salad dressing and toss until evenly coated, reserving a small amount to refresh the salad if it needed.
All components (including the dressing) can be assembled ahead of time such as the night before. Just toss everything together in a large bowl right before serving.
- In Australia and New Zealand, it is commonly known as pasta salad and is usually made with cooked shell pasta and purchased from supermarket delis.
- In the Philippines, macaroni salad has a mildly sweet flavor. Chicken is more often used in the dish. It is served in parties and gatherings.
- In Hawaii, macaroni salad is a popular staple in plate lunches.
- In Puerto Rico, macaroni salad may contain mayonnaise, mustard, canned tuna or bits of SPAM, onions, Cubanelle peppers and pimentos.