Keema Aloo – Ground Beef and Potatoes
300 g ground beef
1 garlic clove
20 g ginger
1 yellow onion
450 g potatoes
450 g potatoes
200 g peas
150 ml milk
100 g yoghurt
8 g tandoori spice blend – (fennel, mint, black peppercorn, cardamom, turmeric, cloves, cumin, nutmeg, ginger, bay leaf, star anise, paprika, sea salt, salt, cinnamon)
How to make Keema Aloo
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Mince the garlic and ginger.
- Peel and dice all the potatoes.
- Juice the lemon.
- Chop the parsley leaves and stems roughly.
Prepare the keema
- Place a large pot on a medium-high flame and heat a spoon of oil.
- Add onion,
- Stir often to cook until it turns translucent.
- Add the garlic and ginger and continue to cook while stirring till the fragrance is evident.
- Add the ground beef and season. Break the meat apart frequently with a spoon till it is cooked through.
Prolong the keema:
- Add 3/4 of the blended spices to the pot of keema and cook while stirring frequently.
- Add the potatoes, yogurt, and milk to bring it to a boil.
- Cover the pot, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and let simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Close the keema:
- Add the peas.
- Season and stir continuously until the potatoes are tender and able to be pierced with a fork.
- Stir in the lemon juice and sprinkle on half of the parsley.
Ready the naan and serve:
- Drizzle some oil on a pan on a medium-high flame and roast both sides of the naans inside it.
- Remove the naans and heat a sprinkle of oil.
- Season the naans with the remaining blend of spices and lemon zest.
- Garnish with the remaining parsley.
- You are ready to consume your Keema potatoes with the spiced toasted naans.
The water content of a potato is 80%.