How to Make Home Fries
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the potatoes and loosely cover it with plastic wrap. Place it in the microwave for 5 minutes at high. Take the plastic cover off and let it cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, on medium heat, add 1 ½ teaspoons of oil and turn until the oil covers the surface of the skillet. Add the onions and cook them until they are golden and tender while you are stirring occasionally, this takes around 20 minutes. Now, add in the garlic while stirring and cook for 1 minute. Take the onions and garlic out of the pan, and clean the pan with paper towels.
- Now, put the heat up to medium high and add the remaining oil and butter to the pan. Make sure it covers the bottom of the pan, add the potatoes, and cook them for 4 minutes without stirring. Turn the potatoes over, and cook until they are brown (without stirring) for 6 minutes.
- Now reduce the heat to medium low and cook them for 10 more minutes until they are golden brown and soft, while stirring. Take it off the heat, mix in the onion mixture, salt, and pepper, and give it a final mix. Sprinkle the top with parsley and serve.
- Home fries are the side dish for meaty dishes like steaks.
- No one really knows where home fries originated from.
August 19th is national potato day.