How to make Dal Pitha
For the filling
- Coarse grind the soaked black gram and set aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan. When the oil begins to fume, add thepanchphoran and cook for 3 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin seeds, chili flakes, asafoetida, followed by ground black gram and salt. Stir to combine and cook for 7-10 minutes till a crumbly texture is achieved.
For the dough
- Use warm water to knead the flour intoasmooth
- Divide the dough into balls in the size of tennis balls.
- Flatten each ball using a rolling pin to make discs.
- Fill the discs with the dal mixture leaving enough area along the circumference to just seal the filling.fold it into a semicircle and seal the ends. Dab your finger with a little oil to secure the sealing.
- Place sealed dumplings in a greased steamer for 8-10 minutes. In case you do not have a steamer, you can use boiling water to boil the dumplings till they rise to the surface. You dal pithas are ready!
- Pitha is a rice cake which is predominant in Bangladesh and India.
- Pitha is generally made from rice flour. The less common variants are made from wheat flour and palm.
- A special type of Pitha called Nabanna, which literally means ‘newborn’ is prepared especially during the harvest festivals in Bengal.