How to Make Crémets d'Angers
- Begin by adding egg whites and cream of tartar in a thermomix (TM) bowl fitted with butterfly. Set the temperature at 50° C and the speed on 4 and beat the content for 3 minutes or until the mixture is stiff. Transfer this mix to a bowl and set aside.
- Remove the butterfly from the thermomix and add sugar in the bowl. Grind the sugar on speed for 30 seconds, pause to scrape the sides and grind some more.
- Fix the butterfly back into the thermomix and add cream in it. Whip cream and sugar for 40 seconds until they are well blended and smooth.
- Next, add formage frais in the TM bowl and mix for 10 more seconds on speed 3 and at last, add the egg white mixture and whips some more for a few seconds.
- Prepare moulds by lining it with muslin and pour the cheesy creamy mixture in them. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out the top and place the moulds on a platter to place in the refrigerator. Leave it overnight to drain water.
- For the sauce, blend strawberries and kirsch in the thermomix for 30 seconds, or until the sauce is well blended and smooth.
- Remove the Crémets d'Angers from the moulds, decorate them with the strawberry sauce and serve cold.
- Crémets d'Angers is so feather light and airy that even to this modern day, it cannot be transported or delivered at home. If anyone wants to taste the original one, they’ll have to travel all the way to Loire.
In 1700’s Madame Renéaume used to sell it though pushcart owners.