How to Make Chicken à la King
- In medium sized skillet, bring the chicken broth infused with the bay leaf to a boil.
- Add in the chicken and gently let it simmer in the broth for a while. The chicken should be poached for 10-12 minutes.
- Preheat another medium sized skillet ad heat the olive oil in it for a minute or so. Melt the butter as well in the skillet.
- Sauté the mushrooms and onions in the butter and oil for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent and tender. Add the salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne to the mixture.
- Add some chicken broth from the other skillet to the mushroom and onions along with the flour and keep stirring.
- Remove from flame and set aside.
- Add the peas and carrots to the broth and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Drain out the excess broth and spread the chicken, carrots and peas on a deep platter.
- Pour over the mushroom sauce all over the chicken evenly.
- Serve with rice or baked potatoes on the side along with some garlic bread.
- You can also serve this over plain and lightly salted pasta.
This dish was created in 1890 by a hotel cook called Willian ‘Bill’ King in Philadelphia.