How to Make Celery Victor
For the celery:
- Start by separating and removing the outer celery stalks from the small inner stalks. Wash the outer stalks and with a vegetable peeler, begin peeling. Discard the stringy layer from each outer stalk, cut them at a 45-degree angle into 6-inch length, and set aside.
- Take the leaves off the tender inner stalks and reserve the inner stalk for some other use. Wash the leaves, place them in a small bowl, loosely cover with a damp paper towel, and refrigerate until serving.
- In a straight-sided frying pan, pour the chicken broth, onion, parsley, and tarragon, and salt, season with pepper and let it come to a boil on high heat. Place the celery in two flat layers until it comes to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and let it simmer until the celery is soft, this takes 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place the cooked celery into an 8x8-inch square heatproof dish and pour the liquid on top of it through a sieve. Refrigerate until the uncovered celery has chilled, this takes 2 hours or so.
- In a blender, add the anchovies, vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Put the blender on high speed and remove the lid so you can pour in the oils.
- Now you can add the tarragon and blend until well combined.
- Taste and adjust flavors accordingly.
- Divide the chilled celery amongst 6 to 8 plates.
- Drizzle eat plate with 1 ½ tablespoons of dressing and sprinkle the reserved leaves on top.
- Chef Victor Hirtzlerof the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco created this dish.
- Celery is thought of as a supporting vegetable now because many people do not enjoy it.
March is national celery month.