How to Make It
- For 1 cup of rice, use 1 3/4 cups of water and 1 tsp. salt.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Mix salt into the water.
- Add the rice. Stir using a wooden spoon just enough to separate the rice.
- Cover the pot. Turn down the heat to its lowest setting.
- Let the rice simmer for about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Allow the rice to steam in the pot for another 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, gently fluff the rice with a fork to separate the grains. Transfer the rice to the hot box to keep it warm for hours together
- Serve the rice with a variety of curries, pickles, and even soups.
Don’t uncover the saucepan or stir the rice during cooking. If it’s done before you’re ready to serve it, place a folded towel over the saucepan, replace the lid, and set aside. The towel will absorb excess moisture, and prevent mushy rice. Your boiled rice is a perfect office or school meal, packed in your Vaya lunch box. You can carry your boiled rice and the curry in the separate compartments of your Vaya Tyffyn lunch box. They will stay warm and fresh until you are ready to open and enjoy.
- Some special rice varieties include Japonica rice, Thai rice, sticky rice, sushi rice, and Basmati rice.
- The main rice-producing countries are China, India, Japan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Thailand, and Myanmar (Burma).