Boiled Egg and Coconut Milk Biryani
Boiled eggs (shells removed)
1½ cups soaked for 20 minutes
Basmati/Seeraga Samba rice
finely chopped onions
chopped green chilies
tbsp ginger garlic paste
cup mint leaves
cup chopped coriander leaves
Curd / yoghurt
tsp turmeric powder
tsp red chili powder
cups garam masala
1 tbsp (optional)
1 tsp (optional)
salt to taste
How to make Boiled Egg and Coconut Milk Biryani
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee and 3 tbsp oil in a handi and fry the chopped onions on low to medium flame till they turn golden brown.
- Add the chilies, mint and coriander leaves and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and stir well to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, turmeric, chili and coriander powders and the garam masala. Stir continuously for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water to the masala with a pinch of salt.
- Cook covered for 9-10 minutes on low to medium flame.
- Add the coconut milk, kewra essence and another cup of water and continue to cook till the gravy thickens.
How to cook the rice:
- Boil the rice in 5 cups of water.
- Add masala and salt as per taste.
- Cook covered on low-medium flame for 10 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed.
How to make the dum:
- Heat a tawa and place the handi on the surface
- Cook covered for 10-15 minutes on low flame.
- After switching off the flame, let the handi stay on the tawa.
- Serve egg and coconut milk biriyani with raita or just plain.
The combination of egg and coconut milk in this biryani gives it a distinct sweet and spicy taste along with the typically South Indian coconut flavour.